Here are some tips from employers who understand the challenges of being a mature aged job seeker.
- Identify your strengths (experience, skills and personal traits)
- Match your strengths to the jobs you apply for
- Do your skills, such as computer skills, need updating?
- On your résumé demonstrate a good work history but keep it relevant and concise
- Emphasise relevant experience and skills in your job application
- Many jobs are not advertised so approach employers directly and get yourself known
- Present yourself well and confidently to employers
- Always leave your résumé with current email and phone contacts
- Follow up on your résumé and application
- Don’t undersell your strengths – demonstrate what you can bring to the job
- Emphasise the transferability of your skills and experience
- Don’t draw attention to potential negatives (such as long absences from the workforce)