Extensive studies demonstrate the benefits of hiring people with disability, yet many employers remain unsure or require additional information to help with recruitment and support of their employees.
Global Skills can help. Our Disability Employment Services (DES) supports employers increase their capability and confidence in employing people with disability.
Australian and International research, along with our own experience, demonstrates the significant benefits of employing someone with a disability. These include:
- Reliable – people with disability take fewer days off, take less sick leave and have a higher retention rate than other workers. The costs to business of absenteeism and sick leave for employees with disability can be as low as 34 per cent of the cost incurred by their co-workers.
- Affordable – insurance cover and compensation costs are lower. People with disability have fewer compensation incidents and accidents at work in comparison to other employees. Global Skills offers a zero-cost recruitment service for employers looking to hire a person with disability and employer incentives including wage subsidies to support with training and up-skilling in the initial stages of employment.
- Good for business – people with disability build strong relationships with customers and boost staff morale and loyalty by fostering a diverse workforce. Teamwork is enhanced. Real cost savings are realised through reduced turnover, recruitment and retraining costs. Hiring people with disability contributes to the organisation’s overall diversity. It enhances the company’s image among its staff, community and customers with positive benefits to the employer’s brand.
- Reflect the wider community – employing people with disability can ensure that your team best reflects the community in which it operates. 1 in 5 of your customers will have a disability. In addition, your new employee can help you understand and better serve the needs of people with disability in the community.
1 in 5 Australians of working age have a disability and, like all other job seekers, possess valuable skills, qualifications and experience that employers need. Our DES recruitment services can help you reach this large talent pool, giving you up to 20% more candidates for your job. The best candidate for your role may be a person with a disability.
If you are looking to hire across Greater Western Sydney including South West Sydney, Blue Mountains and Hawkesbury, Global Skills can save you time and money in the recruitment and retention of high-quality employees. We offer:
- professional recruitment advice and job matching
- help with job design for employees with disability
- on-the-job or off-site support to ensure new employees with disability settle into their job
- ongoing support for as long as it is required, for employees and employers who require support to maintain their employment
- training information and awareness activities for employers and staff
We can also help you access a range of financial support, such as workplace modifications, assistive technology, disability awareness training and wage subsidies.
You can access Global Skills DES service through our Cabramatta, Fairfield, Wetherill Park, Katoomba, Penrith, St Marys and Windsor offices.
For more information on employer support go to https://www.globalskills.com.au/employers/
You can also call our Customer Support Centre team between the hours of 8.45am and 5pm, Monday to Friday, by phone: 02 4732 1469 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org to be connected with our DES team or Employer Liaison Consultants.
Sources: Australian Safety & Compensation Council report “Are People with disability at Risk at work? May 2007, International Labor Office “Disability in the workplace: Company practices” 2010